Welcome to My Thoughts

Welcome to my thoughts, my dreams, my hopes for my future and the future of mankind. I find myself in a position of having my world turned upside down and have found a safe place for me to go and say what's on my mind & in my heart and I want to share that with all those I care about. So •*¨*•.¸¸ღ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Welcome Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¸¸.•*¨*•., and I hope you find some answers and some enjoyment while you explore my blog and get to know me on a deeper & more personal manner.

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Rest in Peace, Lance! Sad ending to 2010! Rough beginning to 2011!

       I just came from my fiance's sister's, grandson, Lance's, funeral. It was beautiful, as funerals go, and so many people. I would guess over 300 at the funeral but there were probably close to 1000 at his visitation last night. We're talking a 19 year old young man who's life was just truly beginning. This happened New Year's Eve. No alcohol involved just a matter of not having his seat belt on. His younger brother was in the vehicle with him but did have his on and came away with bruises and the knowledge that his oldest brother was dead. Lance swerved, over corrected, lost control and when the car rolled he was ejected & the car ended up on top of him and crushing the life out of him.
     I know this year is a new beginning in many ways but for the brothers & sister of this young man, not to mention his immediate & extended family members, it is a very hard way to begin a new year. The only hope,  in this tragedy, is that all the young people, who were his classmates & friends, as well as all his many cousins & sibling's have learned a valuable lesson in driver safety as well as always wearing a seat-belt. That goes for we adults as well as it dawned on me as I was driving down the highway that I hadn't put mine on either.
     I am a grandma myself and my grandchildren always have reminded me to put mine on and I know I'm not immortal like I used to think I was when I was around Lance's age. Not immortal really but I thought, like most young adults do, that things like that won't happen to me because I'm young & healthy & blah, blah, blah. The sudden unexpected death of a class mate of mine, due to a blood clot, when I was in high school woke me up to the fact that youth has no bearing on mortality. He was 16 years old.
     My hope is that we all, those who knew Lance and anyone who sees this blog, will remember how important life is and to be as safe as we can in any given circumstance. Wear your seat belt! Keep your children in car seats! Don't talk or text while driving! This is a big one now days with everyone with a cell phone & text messaging! Don't drink & drive! I guess the main thing is to be responsible in everything you do. That won't guarantee you'll live to a ripe old age but it will certainly make your chances so much better as well as the chances of anyone you come in contact with and pass these words of wisdom on to.

One Young Life Lost

It's hard to say goodbye to one
So young and full of life
I look up to the heavens
And quietly ask God why
God wasn't angry with him
But He took him anyway
I know there is a reason though
But what I cannot say
I know that he is with our Lord
Because he did believe
Because he knew the Father's Son
Eternal life he'll receive
My prayer is those who knew him
Will learn from his short life
Make the most of the time you have
And don't give in to strife.
Know that at any moment 
You just might breathe your last
 Make the most of your life now
And not live in the past
Grab life tightly with both hands
And live the best you can
Live your life with faith and hope 
And love for your fellow man.

In memory of Lance L. Johnson
by Marti Gipson
Jan.6,2011



2 comments:

  1. Lance is ok. I won't go into it, but you know why I say that. Great laugh, great smile. A good kid who was needed for Angel Duty. Love and prayers to all his family and friends. May they have peace in knowing he is well and with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. They are deeply appreciated.